Yoga is a practice that is ages old, a Hindu discipline which includes controlling your breath and simple meditation done through a range of movements. There is a lot to know about yoga and with Bella Women’s Fitness, you will be among women who love the practice and who are passionate about sharing the experience. Whether you are an experienced yogi or this is the first time you are looking at yoga classes, we can assure you that you will find a home here.
There are a variety of reasons why women are drawn to yoga, which can range from wanting a really good whole body stretch or they want to burn calories to lose weight. Whatever your purpose is, we have a class that can fit your needs.
- Many women join a yoga class to improve the health and fitness of their muscles, joints, and organs. Yoga consists of numerous poses and positions that aim use your whole body to build strength.
- Or you can come to center your mind and body. Your instructor will guide you through the movements using deep in and out breaths that will help you focus on your body’s alignment. During this time, it gives your mind a chance to quiet the noise of the day.
- If you want to shed some pounds, yoga will surely get your heart pumping and your muscles will feel the burn. As you continue with each class, you can move on to advanced classes which will further challenge your body and you will see an increase in flexibility and stamina.
- The yoga community is accepting of anyone who wants to join in the practice. Regardless of what fitness level you are at, there are modifications that can be made so that you are always comfortable. The practice can also be as challenging as you would like to make it.
What You Should Know For Your First Yoga Class
If you have never been to a yoga class before, know that there is nothing to worry about. Beginner classes can be fairly simple and will teach you the basic movements and breathing techniques.
- What to Wear: In poses like downward facing dog, your upper body will bent toward the ground, so you’ll want to wear clothing that is fitted to your body rather than loose. Yoga classes are often done barefoot, so there’s no need to worry about footwear. If you do want to wear socks, choose a pair that has a no-slip material on the bottom.
- Arrive Early: In the beginning, you will want a clear view of the instructor as they demonstrate the movements so place your mat towards the front. Feel free to introduce yourself to the instructor and let them know that this is your first class.
- Breathe: Many of those who are new to yoga forget to breathe when they are holding poses. Reminding yourself to breathe will allow your mind and body a chance to relax. You don’t always have to match the instructor’s directions exactly, just be comfortable.
- Have Fun: Fitness should always be fun, right? If you wobble or fall out of your pose, don’t worry. It has probably happened to everyone else there at some point. Just find your way back into the pose and again, remember to breathe!
If you want a relaxing, yet challenging workout, join Bella Women’s Fitness in San Antonio for a yoga class.